It also has the largest clock in South Africa, the only other one comparable to it in size was in the Rissik Street Post Office. Runge DSO MC*, who had served in France from 1914–18, before being ordained in 1922. In 1954 Deane Yates became the first lay headmaster.

The flag at the top of the bell tower is changed every day, from the South African flag, to the St Johns College flag, to the flag of St George. His name is remembered as that of Runge House at the school today. By then there were 664 boys, 375 in the college, 100 boarders in the Prep. John's College has widened in interests and outlook.

By 1903 45 state schools were open across Johannesburg.

Its pipe organ is the largest of its kind in South Africa.

The Bell Tower completed in 1933, houses one of the largest bells in South Africa.

By then it had 100 boys, and four college houses had been instituted: Nash, Thomson, Alston and Rakers (which became Hill in 1910).

Sir Herbert Baker designed the new Houghton school buildings and initially used rough-hewn quartzite quarried on the site, but subsequently rock was sourced from Krugersdorp and hand-chased by Maltese craftsmen.

1994 sees Macfarlane retires as Headmaster; Robert Clarence is appointed.

1997 Robert Clarence departs as Headmaster; Alan Wilcock appointed acting HM, and fully to the post the following year. 100 year celebration is commemorated by a mass of thanksgiving is held on Burger Field for all three schools, staff, parents past and present, former pupils and friends of the school. Rowland, the second oldest living OJ, and Brendan Pyke, one of the youngest Grade 1 pupils in the Pre-Prep.

During the year the school celebrated with a ball, a race day, a golf day, a pageant, an arts and crafts fair, a centenary rose, basketball, cricket, hockey and rugby festivals, performances of Death of a Salesman, Pirates of Penzance and Mozart’s Requiem. Commemorative gifts are presented by Jeppe, St Mary’s and St Stithian’s schools. The celebrations ended with a massed Carols by Candlelight service and fireworks display on Burger Field in November. The Centenary Venture target of R12.5 million is reached.

The college constitution is redrafted and the first schoolboy representative appointed to council.

The college has two chapels, a main one and a crypt chapel.

Construction began in 1915 on the Crypt Chapel designed by Fleming as a foundation for the main chapel.

However the school was forced to close at the end of 1899 due to the outbreak of the Second Anglo-Boer War.